What is the California Seal of Biliteracy?
The Seal of Biliteracy is a state awards program to recognize high school students for their accomplishments in language studies and proficiency. The program:
FUHSD Eligibility Criteria
In order to receive the Seal of Biliteracy, students must meet the following criteria:
1. Successful completion of ALL FUHSD high school graduation and state requirements including successful completion of all English requirements, with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 through the Fall Semester of the 12th grade year; and
2. Achieved Level 3 ("Standards Met") or higher on the Smarter Balanced assessment in English-Language Arts/Literacy OR a minimum 3.0 GPA in 11th and 12th grade English courses (through Fall semester of 12th grade) including ELD courses for English Language Learners; and
3. ONE of the following language requirements:
- A score of "3" or above on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam for the designated world language; OR
- A score of 650 or above on the SAT World Language subject test for the designated world language; OR
- Successful completion of a fourth-year FUHSD World Language course with a 3.0 or higher GPA
AND the following requirement if your primary language is not English and you have taken the California English Language Development Test (CELDT):
- An overall score of "4" (Early Advanced) or "5" (Advanced) on the CELDT in the current school year
For instructions on how to provide documentation of your eligibility in each of these areas, refer to the application, which is available at your school's main office or on this website below.
New for the Class of 2017: If you have met the World Language eligibility criteria through FUHSD coursework by the end of your 11th grade year, you do not need to apply. You will receive an email confirmation of your eligibility by mid-February.
Students who intend to fulfill the World Language eligibility criteria through senior year coursework or by exam (AP or SAT) must submit an application. Applications (click here) are due to your school's main office by March 3, 2017.